Haptic technology recreates the sense of contact by applying forces, vibrations, or motions to the person. This mechanical stimulation may be used to help in the creation of virtual items in a computer simulation, to control such digital gadgets, and to enhance the remote control of machines and devices (telerobotics). Haptic gadgets might also incorporate tactile sensors that measure forces exerted by the person on the interface. –Wikipedia
Haptic technology has made it possible to investigate how the human sense of touch works by allowing the creation of controlled haptic virtual objects.
– Haptic is derived from Greek word “Haptiko”.
– Haptic is the technology of adding the sensation of touch & feeling.
-Haptic device gives people a sense of touch with computer generated environment,so that when virtual object are touched they seems real & tangible.
– We can say that it seems link to the brain’s sensing position and movement of body by means of sensory nerves within the muscles and joints.
Types of Haptic feedback
Tactile feedback :-
- It refers information acquired by sensors which are actually connected to the skin of human body.
- It means User can feels things such as texture of surfaces,shape of virtual object ..
Force feedback :-
- It refers to the information acquired through the sensors in joints..
- It reproduce the directional forces that can result from solid boundaries.. Like weight of virtual object..
Types of haptic devices
1) Phantom interface
>Providing 3D touch of the virtual object
>When the user moves his finger, the n he could really fear the virtual 3D object programm
2) Cyber grasp system
> The cyber grasp system is an innovative force feedback system for your fingers& hand
3) Magnetic levitation haptic interface
> Technology for feeling sensation over total body.
- working time reduced
- communication is centred through touch so that digital word can feel like real world.
- In medical,military sector and in game also.
- Higher cost.
- Large weight & size.
- Precision of touch required a lot of advance design.
Future vision :-
- Medical Application :- Use of central workstation from which surgeons would perform operations in various locations; with machine setup and patient preparation performed by local nursing staff
- Textile Industry:- User could study and feel the texture and quality of material during the sale of cloth through internet